Katherine Mankiller

A question from the “feeling stupid” files…
February 25, 2007, 11:30 am
Filed under: selling fiction

So, hypothetically speaking, you know, I have this friend… Okay, no, I don’t have this friend.
Suppose I have this story, and my friend said it sucked last July, and I’d had it critiqued at a writing workshop in September and rewritten it so much that a unix diff on the files leaves me scratching my head and wondering where the untouched parts are and whether they exist, but there is the same premise and the same characters and all.
Is this a new story when I go to submit it?

1. Yes, it’s a new story. Submit like the wind!
  2. No, it’s the same story. You’ve burned the story at the markets that saw the old version. Sucks to be you.
  3. It depends on the editor.

How embarrassed should I be that I don’t know the answer to this question?

1. Extremely.
  2. A moderate amount.
  3. Mildly.
  4. Not at all.

If I submit like the wind, should I say something to the markets that saw the previous version? If so, what should I say?

1. It’s rude to not mention it. Say something like this.
  2. It’s a new story. Don’t mention it.
  3. Tell them it’s a “reboot” of the other story.
  4. Do something else, which I will detail in comments.

Discuss.

8 Comments

Is this a new story when I go to submit it?
C. It depends on the editor.
How embarrassed should I be that I don’t know the answer to this question?
D. Not at all.
I honestly don’t know what to say.

Comment by B. B. Kristopher

Well, you’re a big help! 😉
Seriously, that’s about where I am, too. Dammit.

Comment by Katherine Mankiller

Alas, it’s not a new story. If you resub it to a market that’s already seen it and the editor hasn’t changed in the meantime, then you need to be honest about it in your cover letter.
Sorry.

Comment by Jennifer Pelland

Thanks, Jen. I figured I needed to say something.
The unix diff command claims that not a single paragraph of the original story was left untouched. Now that’s a rewrite!
Should I just not even send it to those other markets, or should I go ahead unless they say “no resubs”?

Comment by Katherine Mankiller

I don’t think it’s a new story. If you resub, I’d mention it’s an extensive rewrite.
In my extensive experience, that is. 😉
I don’t think you should be embarassed to ask the question. It’s a good question.

Comment by Another Voice in the Cacophony

I’ve been pretty much using the text that I linked on the new subs. I was mainly having a moment of authorial anxiety that I was doing it wrong.

Comment by Katherine Mankiller

It can’t hurt to try. Actually, it could hurt in that it could be a massive waste of time if they sit on it for five months before opening the envelope, then immediately reject it for being a resub.

Comment by Jennifer Pelland

LOL!
I hadn’t sent it to anyone really pokey yet, so it should be okay. 😉

Comment by Katherine Mankiller